Monday, October 3, 2011

Moneyball

This weeks film was Moneyball.  I am not a baseball person so I'm doing this review based on someone who has no clue whatsoever about any of the teams, managers, or players.
  Overall, this film was good, I'd rank at 3.5/5 overall, but the director could have improved on several things.

  The absolute best part of this movie was the Pitt/Hill dynamic.  They worked together really really well in the parts they were assigned.  I know it doesn't seem like Jonah Hill could pull off something serious, but he does it extremely well.  Any humor in the felt scripted (in a good way).  There were no spontaneous jokes or humorous situations, all the jokes were more in the actions of the characters or in the way the dialogue between Pitt and Hill played out, not something improvised, but something planned. 

   However, it took too long to introduce the main character.  The film opens with a clip of the 2001 ALDS baseball single elimination rounds.  The Oakland Athletics lose to the New York Yankees.  Next scene is Brad Pitt stomping on a radio. We know Brad Pitt, so we know he's the main guy, but it takes another 4 minutes to introduce Pitt as Billy Beane, we know he's the GM of the Athletics before we know his name.  To me, this is a little distracting.  Why could they not have said who he was to begin with?

Another thing I didn't like was the flashbacks Beane would have.  He went straight from high school to the New York Mets, blowing off a scholarship, and he never made a name for himself because he was too green.  The only time I can see his background story helping is when he recruits Peter Brand (played by Jonah Hill) to be his assistant manager.  Beane asks Brand if he would have drafted him first round.  Brand says "No.  I would have picked you in the ninth, and offered no signing bonus.  You would have passed it over for a scholarship."  After hearing this, Beane hires Brand. 
All the flashbacks following this feel like they are there to make the film last longer.  We got an overview of Beane's professional career, why do we need to keep going back to it?  I could understand if the flashbacks were of different events, but they are the same ones. Blah.


Finally, I didn't like the strange filming when they were developing the plan.  The camera would zoom into the computer screen so it would show individual pixels, or into a TV so it would show those three colored bars that make up the image, but they would keep the background image just in focus. It was a great way to add emphasis, and an interesting queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach...


As always, here's the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  I don't like the reviews this time around, particularly because they are not so much about the movie as about the surprise at Brad Pitt's ability to act after he reached middle age.  They don't say anything about Jonah Hill's performance, which I found to be the best part of the movie.  Overall though, I don't have anything drastic to say against these reviews.  They are fairly accurate, except I don't understand the "anguish" Deneby mentions, since the film hit me as just another Miracle.

Despite the flaws I pointed out, this was a fun movie, and it's safe to bring your family to (they only drop the f bomb twice after all), and the way that Pitt and Hill work together makes the film worth seeing.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw this movie I felt that the flashbacks were necessary to give the viewer some background knowledge on the main character. However, I agree with you heavily that most should have either been cut or stringed together at the very beginning of the movie to give it a much more prologueish feel. That would have put a much better perspective on Pitt's character rather then slowly stumbling through his development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched baseball consistently since 2005, but this movie piqued my interest. I have always found films interesting when they show how a system works. Whether it be baseball, government, or a corporation.

    However, my interest in this movie dropped severely when I saw Jonah Hill show up. I know a lot of people like Jonah Hill, but I just can't stand him. It has always seemed to me that all of Jonah Hill's humor and acting has been forced. My favorite film with Jonah Hill in it is '40 Year Old Virgin' as he is only in the move for a minute and a half, which is all I can stand of his humor. However, Jonah Hill plays a serious role, and you say that he rarely attempts at humor in this film, I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see this movie. It has received great reviews. Brad Pitt is a great actor and I actually really like Jonah Hill. At Nick H., I think Jonah Hill is funny in his own way. "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" was great. He was also good in "Knocked Up" (of course Seth Rogen was the star), "Superbad", and "Get Him to the Greek". Even if you don't like his comedy, "Moneyball" is supposed to be a drama, so maybe you won't mind him in this particular movie.

    ReplyDelete